This salad absolutely screams summer! From its fresh raspberry vinaigrette to the lovely array of farmer's market produce in the salad itself, this salad is absolutely delightful enjoyed on a summer evening, out on a starlit patio with a glass of white wine. Salud! (N.B. This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite vegan chefs, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. While her recipe was delightful as is, I have modified it significantly to encompass a little more of summer's bounty. Thanks Colleen!).
What you'll need:
- 8 - 10 cups triple washed organic spinach leaves
- 3 cans mandarin oranges, drained (or, if you prefer, 3 fresh oranges, peeled, sliced, and quartered. Normally, I prefer fresh produce every time, but mandarins just have a very special flavor that lends itself nicely to this salad)
- 1/2 cup toasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raw or toasted sunflower seeds (depending on your preference--just stay away from salted)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups fresh red raspberries
- 1 cup fresh golden raspberries (if you can't find these, just use more red ones)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. canola or coconut oil
In a powerful blender, pulverize the the remaining cup of red raspberries, seasoned rice vinegar, and oil. You can either drizzle it over your salad for a beautiful effect (see above photo to see how striking this dressing is!), or simply toss it all together if you plan to eat it all that night. A word of caution: once you combine the dressing with the salad, it won't keep for more than about 12 hours, so I don't recommend mixing them unless you're absolutely sure you're going to eat all of it in one seating; better to store the salad and dressing separately and enjoy it again tomorrow!